Since the launch of the Roomba robotic vacuum cleaner two decades ago, iRobot has evolved its relationships with those partners that supply key components and materials required for iRobot to manufacture our products. Over the past 5 years, iRobot has taken control and management over key component and material supplier relationships that were originally controlled and managed by the contract manufacturers. In 2019, approximately 90% of the component and materials suppliers (measured in dollar value) were selected by iRobot. iRobot, through its Global Strategic Sourcing team, conducts a thorough vetting process in approving each supplier. iRobot aims to have robust contracts in place with all critical suppliers and maintains periodic oversight of the suppliers to ensure performance. With the recent membership to the RBA, iRobot is working on developing a supply chain CSR program that includes the acknowledgement and acceptance by all suppliers of our Supplier Code of Conduct.
At the end of 2019, approximately 50 suppliers had pledged to comply with the company’s General Environmental Regulatory Requirements, which details iRobot’s requirements for its suppliers and outlines related responsibilities for providing products, systems, modules and components that meet global environmental requirements. All suppliers working under iRobot’s Master Supplier Agreement have affirmed that they are obligated to comply with all applicable laws and regulations including those regarding minimum wage, living conditions, overtime, working conditions, child labor laws and the applicable labor and environmental laws and the United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
iRobot has also rolled out a Supplier Diversity Program with the following objectives:
iRobot is committed to operating its business in ways that are environmentally responsible and can help mitigate the myriad of issues stemming from climate change. These efforts span product design, production and recyclability as well as the wide range of activities that take place across our global offices.
Jabil, Inc. (NYSE: JBL) is a manufacturing solutions provider that delivers comprehensive design, manufacturing, supply chain and product management services. Leveraging the power of over 200,000 people across 100 sites strategically located around the world, Jabil simplifies complexity and delivers value in a broad range of industries, enabling innovation, growth and customer success.
• Learn more: Jabil's sustainability initiatives across the people it serves, the products it produces and the planet it protects.
• Learn more: Jabil's Social and Environmental Responsibility reports, which transparently outline its commitments to fair and safe workplaces, improving its environmental footprint and contributing to a more sustainable world.
• Learn more: Jabil’s key social and environmental policies and commitments.
BYD Company – BYD, which is listed on the Hong Kong and Shenzhen Stock Exchanges, is a high-tech company devoted to technological innovations for a better life. BYD was founded in February 1995, and after more than 20 years of fast growth, the company has established over 30 industrial parks worldwide and has played a significant role in industries related to electronics, automobiles, new energy and rail transit. From energy generation and storage to its applications, BYD is dedicated to providing zero-emission energy solutions.
• Learn more: BYD’s sustainable development initiatives for its people, society, stakeholders and the environment including access to its most recent Social Responsibility report.
• Learn more: BYD’s Corporate Social Responsibility programs and related charitable programs.
Kin Yat (HK) Holdings Limited - Kin Yat (00638.HK) is an industrial enterprise specializing in the technology-driven production of electrical and electronic products, including robotics, juvenile products and smart products, along with a diverse portfolio of motor drives and related products.
• Learn more: Kin Yat’s philosophy on corporate citizenship.
• Learn more: Kin Yat’s AI robotic cleaning manufacturing operation.
• Download: Kin Yat’s 2019 Environmental, Social and Governance Report.
Simatelex Manufactory Co., Ltd. – Headquartered in Hong Kong, Simatelex is a leading OEM manufacturer specializing in electrical household appliances for worldwide brand names. Simatelex has four production plants in China and one production plant in Batam, Indonesia, with a total floor area of over 4 million square feet and a 20,000 strong workforce.
VS Industry founded in 1982 and listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad in 1998. Today, VS is a leading integrated Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS) provider in the region, with proven capabilities to undertake the manufacturing needs of global brand names for office and household electrical and electronic products. VS Industry has advanced manufacturing facilities located in Malaysia, China, Indonesia and Vietnam, and collectively employ a workforce of more than 15,000 people. Our Group offers one-stop manufacturing solutions to world-renowned customers from Europe, Japan and USA. Our extensive manufacturing services including R&D services, plastic injection mould design and fabrication, a wide range of injection tonnage and finishing processes, printed circuit boards assembly, complete product assembly and final processes of packaging and logistics.
• Learn more: VS Industry’s focus on 5 main corporate responsibilities pillars as an integral part of carrying out our businesses. We are always mindful of the importance of environmental sustainability and are committed to be a benefit to the larger society as well as to safeguard the welfare of our employees. The 5 pillars are Environment, Welfare of the Employees, Community, Marketplace and Supplier.
• Learn more: VS Industry’s Supplier Ethical and Environmental Code of Conduct are implemented to ensure all VS suppliers produce products under a minimum set of internationally acceptable conditions of employment outlined herein in line with policies of International Labour Organisation.
• Learn more: VS Industry’s Environmental Policy aims to become a world-class environmental responsible partner.
• Learn more: VS Industry’s Sustainability Statement goal is to become a sustainability-led innovator with an integrated and resilient workforce while being conscious of the community and environment.
We regularly assess and monitor the labor practices of our contract manufacturers and suppliers through various methods including surveys and third-party audits, which assess a contract manufacturer’s policies and practices for labor, occupational health and safety, environment, ethics and management systems. Based on the results, the contract manufacturer must provide a corrective action plan for any non-conformances which includes a follow-up by iRobot. Even prior to iRobot’s membership in the RBA, certain iRobot contract manufacturers were already members of the RBA and iRobot has encouraged its other contract manufacturers to become RBA members while consistently advocating that its contract manufacturers disclose the results of third-party audits where applicable, consistent with RBA best practices.
We are committed to protecting human rights and ensuring the integrity and dignity of all those involved in making our robots through our Human Rights Policy and our compliance with the California Transparency Act and the UK Modern Slavery Act. iRobot is committed to working with contract manufacturers that strive to provide safe and respectful work environments and that make positive contributions in the communities in which they operate. iRobot insists that its contract manufacturers adhere to applicable labor laws and allow third-party oversight of their labor practices.
• Two of our contract manufacturers are current members of the RBA. RBA members are held accountable to a common Code of Conduct and utilize a range of RBA training and assessment tools to support continual improvement in the social, environmental and ethical responsibility of their supply chains.
• Within the past two years, 3 of 4 contract manufacturers have completed RBA-approved independent audits in their facilities. The fourth plans to have an RBA-approved firm audit its facilities during the first half of 2020.